To me, fall means baked apples. Simple. Delicious. Sweet. Warm. Comfort.
The other day, my older son asked if we could partake in our favorite fall ritual and bake up some apples. I was busy with a bunch of other cooking projects so he took matters into his own hands, cored a couple of apples, stuffed them with yummy ingredients, then handed them to me to place in the oven. It’s just that easy, really.
Here’s my recipe, you’ll have to wait until my son starts blogging to get his.
- 4 medium apples, washed and cored
- 4 thin strips lemon rind
- ½ cup dried currants
- 1 whole vanilla bean, cut into 4 pieces
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- Place apples in large glass oven proof bowl (with lid)
- Place a strip of lemon rind, some currants, a piece of vanilla bean, and a cinnamon stick inside each apple
- Drizzle apples with lemon juice and scatter remainder of currants around them
- Bake covered at 350° for 60 to 75 minutes
These baked apples are a simple, healthy, gluten-free, vegan dessert. They really satisfy on a chilly evening. To make a more decadent dish, drizzle with heavy cream or almond milk.