This vegan recipe for butternut squash soup is great for a cold winter’s day. We’ve had a lot of those lately. I haven’t worn anything outside but snow boots in 2007.
We just had our 7th snow storm in seven weeks. I don’t mind, I was raised in California where we pretended that a heavy frost was “snow.” Here’s some good grub for staying warm.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded and diced in 2 inch cubes
- 8 cups water or stock, boiling
- In a large soup pot, warm the oil (or butter)
- Caramelize onion in the pot, sauteing 10-15 minutes until golden brown
- Add the squash cubes and cook for 10 more minutes until the outside of the cube is a bit soft
- Pour the boiling water (or stock) over the onion/squash mixture
- Bring entire mixture up to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes
- In a vitamix, puree soup in very small batches (as not to scorch yourself and have soup splattered on your ceiling) at low, then working up to high speed until mixture is smooth and creamy
- Serve piping hot (unless for babes)