My children loved this gluten free Cherry Blueberry Crumble made from fresh ripe fruit. As you can see, they placed a huge dollop of Whipped Cream on top.
- For filling, place cherries and blueberries in a 2 quart baking dish
- Sprinkle fruit with agave, lemon juice and vanilla, then toss in arrowroot
- To make the crumble, in a large bowl, combine almond flour and salt
- In a smaller bowl, combine grapeseed oil and agave
- Mix the wet ingredients into dry to form the topping
- Then crumble topping over fruit mixture
- Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour and 15 minutes, until bubbling
- Uncover and bake a few more minutes until topping is golden brown
- Remove from oven and serve
Whole Foods is celebrating the season of cherries this week on their blog with information on the harvest and great personal stories of some of their favorite cherry farmers. Head on over there for more interesting information.
Over here in Colorado, it’s slug season. Despite my best efforts at slug abatement in my beloved garden (yogurt container tops filled with beer, mulching, quadruple washing my greens), the other night while I was eating dinner, a huge black slug crawled out of my salad and onto the table. Yikes! For those of you who hang out with me on Facebook you got moment to moment updates on the slug incident. Special thanks to Anaquita Rose who suggested washing each leaf individually. Why didn’t I think of that?!
Finally, I also wanted to mention that I was selected to be July’s Chef of the Month for the Organic Dish. The Organic Dish is a service in Boulder makes it easy to order healthy, organic meals online that are available for pick up or delivery. They will be featuring one of my favorite summer salmon dishes, Salmon with Olive Tapenade.
Happy summer everyone! And remember to avoid slug ingestion :-)