This recipe was inspired by Jaden’s Lemongrass Chicken and Coconut Soup from her fabulous book, The Steamy Kitchen Cookbook. I received it in the mail on Friday and played with it all weekend long. It is a captivating book, full of gorgeous pictures (which she styled and shot herself) and easy recipes. I’m in love. Last night, I made this Coconut Chicken Soup, Jaden’s Grilled Fish with Kabayaki Sauce (also from The Steamy Kitchen Cookbook) and some stir fried broccoli.
The food was so good that there was not enough to go around. Never have I seen my boys gobble up fish so quickly. This is a very family friendly cookbook and frankly, I cannot say enough good things about it. Stay tuned and I will share my version of Jaden’s Kabayaki Sauce in an upcoming post.
Meanwhile, enjoy this hearty soup. Tis the perfect season for it.
Coconut Chicken Soup
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 fresh thumb-sized piece of ginger, sliced into thin coins
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons agave nectar or honey
- 6 ounces leftover chicken
- 1 cup mushrooms, rinsed, drained and sliced in half lengthwise
- 1 medium carrot, julienned
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, minced
- In a pot, bring chicken stock and ginger to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes
- Stir in coconut milk, fish sauce, agave, chicken, mushrooms and carrot
- Just before serving, stir in lime juice and cilantro
I love Asian food, it is so tasty, accessible and easy to make. I plan on having many fun evenings with The Steamy Kitchen Cookbook, in fact, I think it will edge out the time I spend with my gluten free cookbook, The Gluten-Free Almond Flour Cookbook, for this week.
Please head on over to Facebook or Twitter to ask me anything not addressed on my Frequently Asked Questions page.