When I was in New York a couple of weeks ago, I found a raw, vegan, gluten free granola made of mulberries and walnuts. It was absolutely delicious, though just a bit sweet for my palate.
I saved the package (it was made by International Harvest and they have other flavors as well), and this weekend found a dash of spare time to recreate their product without using the agave they add to sweeten it. I think it’s quite sweet enough with dried fruit in it. The trick to making this granola is adding a ton of cinnamon (even more than the 1 teaspoon I have in the recipe below), which accentuates the sweetness of the dried fruits.
4 cups walnuts
½ teaspoon celtic sea salt
½ cup water
4 Medjool dates, pitted
5 dried apricots, chopped
½ cup dried mulberries
1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Soak walnuts and salt overnight in a 9 x 13 inch baking dish
- Rinse the walnuts, rinse the baking dish, then place the nuts back in the baking dish
- Place nuts in oven on lowest setting (our oven is 135°) and dehydrate for 24 hours or until crispy
- Once nuts are dehydrated, remove from oven and set aside
- Place dates and water in food processor and pulse until a smooth paste forms
- Add walnuts, apricots, mulberries and cinnamon and pulse until coarse, like granola
- Place in oven in 9 x 13 inch baking dish and dehydrate again for 24 hours or until crispy
- Serve as a snack or as cereal with almond milk
Finally, if you are a Facebook user and want to get regular updates on Elana’s Pantry happenings, check out my new page.
You might also enjoy: