One of my favorite readers, ~M, who keeps me on my toes with her fabulous questions, comments and requests, recently asked for a gluten-free “honey cake” recipe for the High Holidays. A few others did as well, so here it is!
You may notice that my “honey cake” actually has no honey in it. Feel free to experiment and amend the recipe if you miss the honey. Personally, I think this tastes just like the lekach my Bubby made for us back in the day, when I used to visit her on Long Island. She was an amazing cook and business woman and is my favorite family role model.
My Bubby’s lekach had chopped nuts in it; I would suggest adding half a cup of walnuts or pecans to this recipe if you are in the mood for that sort of thing. I left the nuts out as my boys prefer their desserts without chopped nuts and usually just pick them out. I thought I’d save them the trouble this time.
- ½ cup boiling water
- 2 tablespoons organic decaf ground coffee (not instant)
- 2 ½ cups blanched almond flour
- ½ teaspoon celtic sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- ¼ teaspoon cloves, ground
- ½ cup agave nectar or honey
- ¼ cup grapeseed oil or palm shortening
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup raisins
- Pour ½ cup boiling water through a filter containing 2 tablespoons organic decaf coffee; discard grounds cool liquid
- In a large bowl combine almond flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon and cloves
- In a separate bowl, combine agave, oil, eggs and coffee
- Mix wet ingredients into dry, then stir in raisins
- Grease and flour a 9 inch cake pan
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes
- Remove from oven and cool for 1 hour
This gluten free, pareve lekach is the perfect ending for a Rosh Hashanah dinner. In fact, my younger son thinks it’s the perfect ending to any dinner (or snack) at any time. Lately I’ve been packing it as dessert in his school lunch.
Now, like him, you really can have your gluten free honey cake and eat it too!
What’s your favorite High Holiday dessert? Leave a comment and let us know; leave the recipe too –we’re all looking for more desserts this time of year!