Yum. Gluten Free and Dairy Free Orange Cake. There’s something special about oranges. Such a simple fruit yet, bursting with flavor and possibility, they remind me of winter, specifically Christmas.
A while back I told ~M, one of my favorite readers, that I would post my version of Claudia Roden’s Gateau a l’Orange. This moist festive gluten free orange cake makes an ideal dish for holiday celebrations.
- Wash the oranges and boil them whole (peel and all) for 1 ½ hours, or until soft
- Place whole oranges (peel and all) in a food processor and blend until smooth
- Process in eggs, agave, almond flour, salt and baking soda until well blended
- Pour batter into a greased 9-Inch round cake pan
- Bake at 375° for 45-50 minutes, until a toothpick stuck in the center comes out clean
- Cool in the pan for 2 hours
This cake was also popularized by Nigella Lawson, though her version is made with clementines. I think it would be fun to make this with lemons, though imagine some adjustments would need to be made if experimenting with this more intensely sour citrus fruit.
Whether served at Thanksgiving, Channukah or Christmas, this cake ends a holiday meal with flare. Enjoy!
PS. head on over to A Gluten-Free Day where Emilia rounds up more fruit desserts for her “Go Ahead Honey, It’s Gluten Free” monthly gluten-free blog event.
Please head on over to Facebook or Twitter to ask me anything not addressed on my Frequently Asked Questions page.