This recipe for Paleo Breakfast Bars is an amended version of a recipe I posted in 2009. I have rewritten this recipe for several reasons.
First, although a number of people swore by it, others commented that the bars came out crumbly for them. Second, the original recipe was not Paleo as it contained grapeseed oil and agave (for more information on which foods are Paleo go to this list from balancedbites.com, or this list from fitbomb.com).
In any event, this simple gluten-free homemade breakfast bar recipe is a favorite in our house as it is easy to pack for a hike and delicious enough to serve as a healthy dessert after lunch or dinner. I also serve it to the boys as a Paleo after school snack –their friends love it and eat a whole dish at a time, however they refer to these as granola bars or power bars.
- In a food processor combine almond flour and salt
- Pulse in coconut oil, honey, water and vanilla
- Pulse in coconut, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, almond slivers and raisins
- Press dough into an 8 x 8 inch baking dish , wetting your hands with water to pat dough down
- Bake at 350° for 20 minutes
- Cool bars in pan for 2 hours, then serve
Last week I had the good fortune to pop into New York to do some pre-publicity for my new book, [cookbook3]. I met with several magazine editors and appeared on Fox News Live with the very engaging interviewer John Hunt, and I spoke extensively about the Paleo Diet. Here is the video.
Just a reminder, my book [cookbook3] will be published early this summer, on June 18th, 2013.
Here are some of my other favorite Paleo snack recipes: