This salad recipe with spinach is a good way to get the little ones their greens. Child friendly, it’s wonderfully healthy Paleo/primal fare.
Children eat salad? Yes, it’s true. The boys eat this in heaps. The secret is fruit. My boys love fruit. I can generally get them to eat anything if I spike it with a little bit of fruit and insist they finish an entire portion before they get more. Common sense approach to avoiding kiddie food waste. And this way they can’t just pick out the raisins and leave the greens for me, the human leftovers vacuum.
- 5 cups baby spinach
- 1 apple, cut into 2 inch matchsticks
- ¼ cup currants
- 1 cup walnuts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- In a large bowl, place spinach, apple and currants
- In a cast iron skillet, toast the walnuts over medium-low heat until they are browned, about 10 minutes
- Add warm nuts to salad
- Drizzle oil and vinegar over the salad
- Toss and serve
This green salad makes a great gluten free side dish and goes well with my Thyme Salmon.