These peanut butter cookies are gluten free, grain free and vegan to boot. I based them on Heidi’s Peanut Butter Cookie recipe over at 101 Cookbooks, one of my favorite websites. Though I did cut the amount of sweetener in half and make a couple of other changes.
I have been on a bit of a peanut butter kick lately. I didn’t eat peanut butter for a long time. I just didn’t feel great when I ate it, however, I’m feeling a lot stronger these days, so peanut butter is back. Last week I posted a recipe for Peanut Butter and Jelly Cookies and next week I will be posting my Peanut Butter Protein Shake recipe.
- In a small bowl combine almond flour, salt and baking soda
- In a medium bowl mix together peanut butter, agave, shortening and vanilla with a hand blender
- Blend dry ingredients into wet with hand blender until well combined
- Scoop dough 1 tablespoon at a time onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet
- Use a fork to flatten in a criss-cross pattern
- Bake at 350° for 6-12 minutes until golden around the edges
Some people don’t ever eat peanut butter; my friend Kelly, over at The Spunky Coconut uses sunflower butter in its place. I find that peanut butter and sunflower butter taste quite alike, so I think it might be worth your while to try out this substitution. I haven’t though, so I’m not sure if it will work in this recipe –please let me know if it does.
Here are some more yummy vegan recipes for bars and cookies you might like:
–Chewy Magic “Peanut Butter Middle” Cookies from Alexa of Lexie’s Test Kitchen
–Chocolate Raspberry Cookie Bars from Kelly of The Spunky Coconut
–Easy Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies from Alisa of Alisa Cooks