Mexican Chicken and Rice is a fabulous Paleo dinner recipe. Made with super food cauliflower rice in place of starchy white rice, this one pot meal is packed with protein and spicy Mexican flavor. Cauliflower rice is easy to make and a fantastic low-carb swap in place of high-carb white rice.
Since I don’t eat grains, this faux rice is a real treat for me. My husband liked it too.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 cup celery, finely diced
- 1 head cauliflower, trimmed
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies, diced
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, grilled and diced into 1-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon celtic sea salt
- ground cumin, oregano and chili powder to taste
- 1 avocado
- grated cheese, if desired
- salsa, if desired
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat
- Saute onion over medium heat for 10 minutes, until soft
- Add celery to skillet and saute for 5 minutes
- Place cauliflower in a food processor with the "S" blade and process until the texture of rice
- Add cauliflower to skillet, cover and cook 5-10 minutes, until soft
- Mix chilies and chicken into skillet
- Stir in salt, cumin, oregano and chili powder
- Serve, topping with avocado, cheese and salsa if desired
The idea for this Mexican Chicken and Rice came off of a low carb yahoo group in which I participate. That recipe was shared by a user named “glassmurf.” Her version used frozen cauliflower, 6 chicken breasts, plus cheese and tomato sauce, so as you can see, I took her basic idea and “Elanafied” it.