This Paleo Orange Cake recipe, made with 6 healthy ingredients is one of our favorite desserts. It consists of whole oranges, almond flour, eggs, honey, salt, and baking soda. Yup, that’s all you need to make this easy paleo cake recipe. It is the perfect festive holiday dessert for Christmas, Hanukkah, Easter, and Passover.
I know it seems weird to make a cake with whole oranges. However, using the orange as well as its peel adds a rich dimension of flavor to this cake. Yes, that’s right, you use the entire orange including the peel in this recipe!
- Wash the oranges and boil them whole (peel and all) for 1 ½ hours, or until soft
- Place whole oranges (peel and all) in a food processor and blend until smooth
- Pulse in eggs, honey, almond flour, salt, and baking soda until well combined
- Pour batter into a greased 9-Inch cake pan
- Bake at 375° for 45-50 minutes, until a toothpick stuck in the center comes out clean
- Cool in the pan for 2 hours
The idea for this easy paleo cake recipe came from one of my favorite cookbook authors, Claudia Roden. Her recipe is called Gateau a l’Orange. Nigella Lawson also has a recipe for a citrus cake using both fruit and peel. Her version is made with clementines, rather than oranges.
I think this paleo cake recipe would be incredible with lemons, though I imagine some adjustments would need to be made if experimenting with this more sour citrus fruit. I haven’t tried that, if you do please leave a comment and let us know if it works.
Here are some of my other easy paleo cake recipes: