This delicious, healthy and somewhat sophisticated treat is not too sweet, making a great candy for adult palates. It may appeal to the younger crowd as well –my 10 year old ate a dozen of these and then packed more in his school lunch.
1 cup prunes, pitted
¾ cup tart cherry juice
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
½ cup chocolate drops, melted over very low heat
¾ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- Place prunes in a bowl and cover with cherry juice
- Soak for 1-2 hours
- If your prunes are hard, not juicy, you may need to heat them just a bit in the cherry juice until soft
- Place prunes and juice in food processor and pulse until smooth, about 30 seconds
- Pulse in vanilla, then melted chocolate
- Scrape mixture into a bowl and place in freezer for 30-45 minutes, until almost smooth
- Remove from freezer, and roll into 1″ balls in palm of hand
- Roll in coconut to coat
I made these truffles liquor free (for the boys) and dairy free (for me) and swapped out a few other ingredients as well to create this vegan version. I hope you enjoy this little treat as much as my family has!
You might also enjoy: