Photo courtesy of Almond Board of California
I am thrilled to let you all know that I am working with the Almond Board of California to promote healthy and delicious eating.
Why am I doing this? As you can imagine, I love almonds. They are a superfood and of course one of my favorite things to nibble on. I like almonds so much that I wrote an entire book about them. The Gluten-Free Almond Flour Cookbook uses almonds in all of its recipes and is a wonderful symbol of my love for that most nutritious of all nuts.
In my work with the Almond Board, I have written 4 recipes just for them (and you all, of course). Here is the first one for a Cranberry Almond Loaf.
¾ cup creamy roasted almond butter, at room temperature
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 large eggs
¼ cup arrowroot powder
½ teaspoon celtic sea salt
¼ teaspoon baking soda
¼ cup dried apricots, chopped into ¼ inch pieces
½ cup dried cranberries
¼ cup sesame seeds
¼ cup sunflower seeds
¼ cup pumpkin seeds
¼ cup sliced almonds, plus 2 tablespoons to sprinkle on top
olive oil for greasing
blanched almond flour for dusting
- In a large bowl, blend almond butter, olive oil and eggs with a hand blender until smooth
- In a medium bowl, combine arrowroot powder, salt and baking soda
- Blend arrowroot mixture into wet ingredients until thoroughly combined
- Fold in apricots, cranberries, seeds and sliced almonds
- Grease a 7.5 x 3.5 magic line loaf pan with olive oil and dust with almond flour
- Transfer batter into loaf pan and sprinkle remaining sliced almonds on top
- Bake at 350° for 40-50 minutes until a knife inserted into center comes out clean
- Let bread cool in pan for 1 hour, then serve
Slice this Cranberry Almond Loaf and enjoy it as a jazzed up base for your Turkey Club Sandwich. Or toast it and dip in olive oil for a delicious breakfast or after dinner treat. Personally, I like mine toasted and smothered in goat cheese.
As part of my work with the Almond Board, I will be traveling out to California next week to publicly discuss my love of almonds. I’ll be doing a couple of interesting things on Friday (stay tuned) and a book signing at Erewhon Natural Foods on Saturday. Hope to see you at the signing!