One of my favorite gluten free condiments, Gomasio is made of sesame seeds, a healthy food, high in protein and fiber. This nutritious Asian sesame seed condiment is also full of calcium and super tasty.
In the photo above, my older son is stirring up a double batch for the family. Below, we have transferred the seeds to a suribachi and prepare to take turns grinding.
- 2 cups sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon celtic sea salt
- Place sesame seeds in a cast iron skillet over medium heat
- Roast for 10 minutes, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until seeds turn golden brown
- Place sesame seeds and salt in a suribachi or mortar and pestle; grind into a coarse meal
- When cooled, transfer to a glass container
- Serve by sprinkling over kale, broccoli or other greens
- Store in refrigerator; keeps for 6-8 weeks
A Suribachi is similar to a mortar and pestle and a handy tool for grinding your own gluten free condiments and spice blends.
Please head on over to Facebook or Twitter to ask me anything not addressed on my Frequently Asked Questions page.