Here’s another fun Valentine’s recipe. Anina in my cooking class came up with this one. During class she suggested that the Black and White Cookies we were preparing could also be turned into linzer hearts by replacing the chocolate with raspberry jam and making a couple of other changes.
I liked this idea so much that it took great discipline for me to stay in the room, rather than running out to the nearest grocery store to grab a bottle of raspberry jam for us to begin experimenting right then and there in the middle of class.
However, I restrained myself and waited until I got home. I had a bit of dinner and then baked up a batch of these –they were quite tasty, making a great tea cookie. Very Valentines-ish and a nice diversion from all that chocolate. Try some out for yourself.
- In a large bowl, combine almond flour and salt
- In a smaller bowl, combine grapeseed oil, agave and vanilla
- Stir wet ingredients into dry
- Chill dough in freezer for 30 minutes
- Between 2 pieces of parchment paper, roll out dough ¼ to ⅛ inch thick
- Use a cookie cutter to cut out 2 hearts of the same size
- Take a smaller heart cookie cutter to cut out the center of one of the hearts
- Press your thumb into the solid heart to make an indentation, then fill this spot with jam
- Place the hollow heart on top of the jam covered heart
- Bake hearts at 350° on a parchment lined baking sheet for 5-7 minutes until brown around the edges
- Cool and Serve
Makes 24 cookies
The trick to making these is to divide the dough into 4 parts; take one part of chilled dough out of the freezer at a time to roll and cut out cookies. The rest of the dough will stay cold in the freezer. Keep in mind, the dough is much easier to handle when it is chilled.
These vegan, dairy free, gluten free cookies use the same dough as yesterday’s recipe for Black and White Cookies. My favorite thing about this cookie dough is that it requires only 5 ingredients, keeping the recipe quite simple. You can make this easy, versatile dough into both the black and white cookies and linzer hearts.
Two types of cookies, more Valentine’s fun.
Please head on over to Facebook or Twitter to ask me anything not addressed on my Frequently Asked Questions page.