Cold weather means apple pie (or some version thereof) in my house. Our favorite is this cinnamon-spiked apple tart encased in a pecan crust. Since my boys go gaga for anything involving baked apples, this gluten free apple tart with a high protein, grain free crust doesn’t last long around here.
I love that the boys (and their friends) gobble down a treat high in fiber and other nutrients, with a minute amount of added sweetener –this entire dessert has a mere one tablespoon of honey. While super kid-friendly, this not-too-sweet tart also makes a gluten free, dairy free dessert that is rich enough to satisfy discerning palates, hence the place it will take on on our Thanksgiving table next month.
Cinnamon Apple Tart with Pecan Crust
- In a large bowl, toss apple slices, lemon juice, arrowroot, honey and cinnamon
- Fan apples out on top of uncooked crust, forming a circle
- Layer more apples over circle and in its center
- Cover tart with foil, and bake at 350° for 45 to 70 minutes, or until juices are bubbling
- Remove foil and cook uncovered for 5-10 more minutes
- Serve with Vegan Coconut Whip (page 94 Gluten-Free Cupcakes)
Here are some of my other fall friendly apple recipes:
Are you looking forward to Thanksgiving? What types of recipes would you like to see here before the holiday?
You might also enjoy: