For the past few months, I have been playing around with power bar recipes. When I’m on the go, I want to grab something that is packed with nutrition, not too sweet and plenty tasty.
I’ve made this power bar recipe a bunch of times now and my taste testers (that would be my husband who is a very direct and rather stringent critic) have given it their official seal of approval (that would be eating an entire tray in two days flat).
When I saw Heidi’s video on power bars yesterday, I knew it was time to go ahead and post mine. For those of you who are not yet familiar with Heidi, I have mentioned her here a few times. She is my favorite food blogger and author of the delightful book, Super Natural Cooking.
I love her power bar video –her voice is so soothing and the content so tranquil that it might put you into a trance. It’s almost like watching a yoga video. Gorgeous shots of California’s Big Sur interspersed with her recipe –what more can I say? See this delightful video yourself!
- Place almonds, flax meal, shredded coconut, almond butter and salt in a food processor
- Pulse briefly, about 10 seconds
- In a small sauce pan, melt coconut oil over very low heat
- Remove coconut oil from stove, stir stevia, honey and vanilla into oil
- Add coconut oil mixture to food processor and pulse until ingredients form a coarse paste
- Press mixture into an 8 x 8 inch baking dish
- Chill in refrigerator for 1 hour, until mixture hardens
- In a small saucepan, melt chocolate over very low heat, stirring continuously
- Spread melted chocolate over bars; return to refrigerator for 30 minutes, until chocolate hardens
- Remove from refrigerator, cut into bars and serve
Makes 20 bars
These no bake, high-protein, high-fiber bars are based upon Melissa Diane Smith’s recipe for Amaretto Protein Bars in her book Going Against the Grain and are a cinch to make. The chocolate topping makes them seem a bit decadent (skip it if you must, they’ll still come out fine) –though dark chocolate, rich in anti-oxidants has now entered the echelon of power foods so I’ll keep it on mine.