Mushrooms are one of my favorite foods. I bought some recently on a trip to the store, though I had no idea what would become of them.
The next day I took out one of my favorite cookbooks, A Cook’s Book of Mushrooms and began to flip through the pages. I found a great recipe, made a few changes (replacing sugar with stevia, etc.) and whipped it up for dinner. Although it looks complicated and has a few steps, this recipe is quick, easy and ultra-satisfying.
Salmon with Mushrooms and Red Pepper Sauceprinter friendly
2 large red bell peppers
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
5 drops stevia
½ teaspoon celtic sea salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small onion, diced
6 ounces shiitake mushrooms, sliced
4 salmon fillets, 6 ounces each
more olive oil, for salmon
more salt, for salmon
- Place peppers in a baking dish in the oven at 350°
- Roast for 10-20 minutes, until skin begins to shrivel
- Allow peppers to cool, remove stems, then slit open and remove seeds
- Place peppers, lemon juice, stevia and salt in a vitamix and puree until smooth
- Transfer pepper mixture to a small sauce pan and warm slightly
- Place the oil in a saute pan over medium heat
- Add the onion and saute for 1 minute, then add the mushrooms
- Reduce heat, cover and cook for 10 minutes
- Turn oven on to 500°
- Leave the skin on the fish; rinse and pat dry with paper towel
- Place fish skin side down on a metal baking sheet
- Rub fillets liberally with olive oil, then sprinkle with salt
- Reduce oven temperature to 275°, then put sheet with salmon on lowest rack
- Roast 8 to 13 minutes –so that centers of thickest part of fillets are still translucent when cut into with a pairing knife
- When the salmon is done place some of the red pepper puree in the center of each plate
- Place salmon on top of the puree, then spoon mushrooms onto the salmon
- Garnish with parsley
My husband loved this dish and my younger son also thought it was great. I enjoyed it too.
Are there any mushroom dishes that you like to make or do you have a favorite mushroom dish that you would like to see on this blog?
You might also enjoy: