After preparing a plethora of Valentine’s sweets, I once again have post-holiday “dessert burnout” syndrome. Thus, I now find myself constantly craving protein –for breakfast, lunch, dinner and even snacks.
I will be eating a lot of these tasty little seafood patties in this new phase of protein craze. Hence I am delighted to share one of my favorite recipes with you –this one for simple, savory shrimp cakes.
- 1 pound (raw) shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- ½ teaspoon celtic sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon chipotle chile, ground
- 1 egg
- ½ cup cilantro, finely chopped
- ½ cup blanched almond flour
- 3 tablespoons grapeseed oil, for sautéing
- Place shrimp in food processor, pulse until finely chopped
- In a large bowl, combine chopped shrimp, bell pepper, garlic, scallions, lime juice, agave, salt, chipotle, egg and cilantro
- Form mixture into 12 (½) inch thick patties, dip each in almond flour, coating thoroughly
- In a large skillet, over medium heat, warm 1 tablespoon oil
- Add 4 patties to the skillet and cook about 5 minutes per side, until browned; remove and place on paper towel lined plate
- Repeat with remaining cakes
Makes 12 Shrimp Cakes
This gluten-free, high protein recipe for shrimp cakes is one of E’s favorites and also my husband’s. J won’t eat it unless under duress, preferring grilled cheese and quesadillas to just about anything I make these days. Alas, we had a good run for so many years where he was completely adventurous in his eating.
Now he is a pure carbo-holic asking me to pack him a lunch of sweetened, flavored yogurt with fruit leather. I have defied this wish of his and lunch comes home untouched day after day. Yesterday, after another virgin lunch came in the door, I asked him what was up and he said, “Mom, if you’d only pack me something good, then I would eat it!” Ok, yogurt and fruit leather, here we come. Can’t starve the boy.
As for myself? I’m sticking with the shrimp cakes.
Please head on over to Facebook or Twitter to ask me anything not addressed on my Frequently Asked Questions page.