This recipe for heart shaped sugar cookies is gluten and dairy free, Paleo/primal friendly and does not use refined sugar. Further, this cookie recipe uses coconut oil, of which I am a big fan.
My older son did not want to give out paper valentines, so he made cookie valentines, as pictured above. Because the children in his class have a myriad of food allergies, this recipe is gluten-free, sugar-free and dairy-free. Even without those ingredients, my son claims the children in his class still say, “yum.”
Valentine’s Day Cookies
- In a large bowl combine almond flour, salt, baking soda and nutmeg
- In a smaller bowl, mix together coconut oil, agave and orange rind
- Mix wet ingredients into dry
- Separate dough into 2 balls and place each on a piece of parchment paper
- Cover each ball of dough with another piece of parchment paper and roll out to ? inch thickness
- Place in freezer for 30 minutes
- Use heart shaped cookie cutters to cut out cookies
- Bake at 350° for 5-7 minutes
- Cool and serve
Makes 32 cookies
Update: Thanks to lisa’s comment below, I found that there was a typo in this recipe, these cookies require ¼ cup of agave, not 1 ¼. My apologies and my disaster, not hers. Thanks lisa for catching this error.
Please head on over to Facebook or Twitter to ask me anything not addressed on my Frequently Asked Questions page.